Domestic 1990 Grand Wagoneer

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs' started by freshmeat, Aug 16, 2015.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...
    Staff Member Supporting Member

Long story short, Tim decided it's time to move on from the SJ he bought from Lee a few months back, so I jumped at the opportunity. I've known the rig for several years before Tim bought it and had my hand in a number of modifications, so even knowing it's sat up for most of the last five years, I know it's a quality rig that'll be even better with a bit more work.

Tim had gone in and finished the Holley EFI conversion, which should kick ass once I can find someone to tune it for me. He also did a couple other updates and repairs, so it's off to a decent start.

The first line of duty is to replace the oil pan since it's leaking heavily at the drain plug. I can grab a new one at a decent price, so I'll do that instead of attempting to repair the one on the motor. Maybe I'll keep the current one and have it repaired anyway, just in case.

Next will be to have the O2 sensor bung added to the Y-pipe, which is in rough shape after 2.5 years, so I'm ordering a new Y-pipe and will have the bung installed in that, then swap it into the Jeep on my own. This should get the Holley kit running substantially better once it can actually read the O2 mix in the exhaust. Right now I'm pretty sure it's running in a limp mode.

After that will be the big project: Air conditioning. Lee was planning on making this a more trail-dedicated rig, so he cut up the A/C system to use the Sanden as an on-board air compressor. Being that I'm planning to DD this bad boy, I need to replace as much as I can, then find someone to fabricate custom A/C hoses so I can get the air conditioning operational.

Other little things I'll be working on as I get time will be:

Installing a CB for when it does see trail use.
    Installing the BJ's Off-Road sliders after I paint them.
    Replacing and upgrading a few switches throughout the rig to get everything fully operational again.
    Converting over to LEDs everywhere possible for better visibility and less strain on the 25yo electronics.
    Then, maybe one day, I'll make Glitt'nerDid proud and install some kind of stereo stuff. But not likely.

I only have two pictures at this point, but I'll definitely be updating this thread as I go. I'm ridiculously excited to finally have my hands on this thing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. SAS'ed '91 Chevy

SAS'ed '91 Chevy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran Member

What holley system? You know I've had my hands in that junk for nearly a decade I know my way around a lot of it. I'm by no means an expert but I can help you get pointed in the right direction. The commander setup I have is pretty robust but came with some major flaws in my opinion. As you know I went back to it over Holleys junky carbs.
    One thing that seems to really bring these systems into optimum running conditions is wide band o2s. Once i get back on mine i will probably be ordering one.

3. rajincajintj

rajincajintj
    Expand Collapse
    trail tampoon

good pick up. it looks a little rougher than the last time i saw it.

good luck with the AC. if i can give you any advice, get the biggest condenser that you can possible fit in there.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

Took it over to Mark at Walker Muffler and had him run a 2.5" from the new Y-pipe to the Magnaflow, then instead of the turndown it had, take it over the rear axle and out the side. The O2 sensor isn't hooked up so it's still not running 100%, but it's coming along pretty nicely...

View: https://youtu.be/yOyLKm87xXY

mdnky likes this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

The TBI conversion is now officially complete, but it's still not running as smoothly as I'd like. The timing advance is all FUBAR, so today I ordered everything to convert over to an HEI style distributor. It'll be here in a week and a half, so I'll do plugs and wires when that goes in.

Maybe even a compression test if I'm feeling frisky...

6. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

So hot... going to pick up new plugs and wires tonight and will hopefully get the conversion knocked out on Sunday!

HEI.jpg

7. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

4.56s, Dana/Spicer rear limited slip, and Poison Spyder Bombshells going in this week...

Trac-Lok.jpg

8. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

Long story short, it's getting a new front carrier, Lock-Right, and manual hubs at the same time...

9. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

10. SaltyDog

SaltyDog
    Expand Collapse
    Parking Lot

You won't be going anywhere fast, that's for sure. Except for a gas station.

rajincajintj and freshmeat like this.
  11. rajincajintj

rajincajintj
    Expand Collapse
    trail tampoon

solid upgrades so far

12. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

It drives SO much better, now. It's unbelievable how much more enjoyable it is to drive! Due to the ignition issues, on the 2.73s I had to manually shift gears to keep it from backfiring when it tried to downshift, but now I can put it in Drive and roll out. The off-idle power is unbelievable and the engine doesn't spin too high in my opinion... at 65mph (my top speed en route to work) I'm at around 3200 RPM. 90% of my driving is capped at 45mph, so it's no big deal. If anything, the gears will probably improve my mileage since most of my commute is stop/go traffic.

Sunday I'm installing the HEI distributor along with new plugs and wires, as well as removing all the old ignition wiring and control module. Hopefully that'll resolve the backfiring/dying issues we keep running into, at which point this bad boy will be infinitely more enjoyable.

SaltyDog likes this.
  13. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

I pulled the headliners to attempt a fix since they're sagging so badly... I think I found the problem...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg