Kazuma Dingo 150

Discussion in 'ATVs / UTVs' started by BilletJK07, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

Well as some of you know I traded the Jeep for a tow rig. Since I don't have room for a big project rig to work on, my dad gave me this Chinese Kazuma Dingo 150. This atv is 2wd and has the GY6 Honda engine that was designed in the 70s. I will have updates as I freshen this thing up for the trails. Notice the soap bubbles coming out of the rear tire, lol all the tires are dry rotted. I picked up some honda forman rear wheels with dry rotted tires that actually hold air. I'm going to put them on this afternoon and flush and clean the fuel system. The gas that was in it is 2 years old, so I might be able to crank it up after I put some good fuel in it.
    [​IMG]

2. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...
    Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice! I've thought about an ATV to play with but can't get a break from house and cars these days.

3. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

I drained the fuel lines and added some clean fuel. I also unscrewed the fuel drain line on the bottom of the carb. Tried to turn it over and nothing. Sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and it started and idled for a couple seconds. Thinking that I might still have bad gas in the carb I drained more out. When I went to crank it again the battery was dead, so that was the end of today. I put the charger back on it and will try again tomorrow. I am going to take the whole thing apart eventually and clean it up but I wanted to have some fun with it before I did that. They make a fuel injector kit for this engine that comes with an ecu and I am seriously considering because I hate carbs.

4. LA-Sahara

LA-Sahara
    Expand Collapse
    Future Injuneer

Ah, the GY6 motor. Hell of interesting carb design.
    If the gas has been in it for 2 years, you are guaranteed to have to pull the carb apart and clean it thoroughly. Pull all the jets out, clean them up real good, get one strand from a wire brush and run it through the main jet holes. Pipe cleaners help also. Soak everything in good gas to break it all up, run compressed air through the passages.

SAS'ed '91 Chevy likes this.
  5. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info Chris. I was afraid of that. I might start taking it apart this weekend.

6. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

Took the carb apart and cleaned it the other weekend and somehow messed up the fuel intake valve and it was not shutting off fuel flow to the carb. This past weekend I salvaged the fuel intake valve from the old carb that came with the atv and it runs now. I drove it all around the back yard and one time on the street just to get it at WOT to knock the dust off the piston. It still needs a lot of work. I can't decide if the master plan will be to do an engine swap or just build up this engine to have more low end torque. Next I will be getting into the CVT part of this little thing. That will involve the variator, belt and clutch.

Warthog likes this.
  7. sleej70775

sleej70775
    Expand Collapse
    That guy in the Chevy

If it is belt driven there is no need to go into the motor for more low end. You can simply play with shimming the primary or pulley on the motor side. All you need is to do is shim the inner part of the pulley a few millimeters to allow the belt to ride just a little lower in it, thus decreasing the diameter and increasing the gear ratio. There are clutch shim kits for Yamaha grizzlies and Polaris sportsmanship available if you want to look at one but basically all they are, is a collection of the right sized washers in varying thicknesses like 2-5mm. You can try this for just a few dollars before you go spending some serious coin buying engines or getting things bored out. A buddy at work shimmed his Yamaha Grizzly 2 mm when he went from 27" Factory tires to 29.5" outlaws and said it pulled the larger, heavier, and more aggressive tires just as well with no lose of power.

BilletJK07 likes this.
  8. edman87k5

edman87k5
    Expand Collapse
    Just some guy

My advice= fix it good enough to sell and put the cash toward an actual adult bike of good quality. Modifying that bike is like putting rimz on a rusted out pinto, it doesn't make any sense.

LA-Sahara likes this.
  9. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

I completly agree with this. I'm not looking to dump a bunch of money or hardly any money into this thing. The only money I have spent on it so far is a $3.00 can of carb cleaner. It is just something I can take apart and put back together while I'm waiting on a trail rig. Little tricks like the clutch shims are great.

10. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

I did see where above I mentioned engine swap or complete rebuild. That was just chit chat and I will probably never put that much into this thing. I have tossed around the idea of dropping my truck a couple inches and then making this thing match and possibly entering car and truck shows, lol.

11. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...

Banned!!

BilletJK07 and SAS'ed '91 Chevy like this.
  12. BilletJK07

BilletJK07
    Expand Collapse

I thought that might get a rise out of you :D

13. SaltyDog

SaltyDog
    Expand Collapse
    Parking Lot

I've got an "extra" trail rig if you're interested Eric. 318.446.8333