TJ skid plate

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Cj5mudhog, Jul 7, 2015.

Moderators: themcfarland
  1. Cj5mudhog

Cj5mudhog
    Expand Collapse

Looking for skid plate/transmission mount.

2. white_devilish_1

white_devilish_1
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Barnes 4WD has a few to choose from at a reasonable price, check them out here -------> Barnes4wd

3. Derek 12v

Derek 12v
    Expand Collapse

I've got the skid plate that came with a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift I think.. It bolts to the frame and is solid. I even have a brand new transmission mount to include with it. It was installed on my 2002 TJ with 4.0/5-speed.

4. LowJ

LowJ
    Expand Collapse
    just driving a WK around and building a MJ

Cannot recommend UCF enough on this. They have 3 different ones for different mounting heights depending on how much of a tuck you want. All are available in steel or aluminum.

5. Cj5mudhog

Cj5mudhog
    Expand Collapse

Well the kicker is I purchased a TJ with the 4.3ltr swap with a 700r4 tranny. The transmission and transfer case is leaning to the back too much. They used advanced adapters heavy duty mount but used some custom bar as the mount completely removing the factory skid plate. The bar they used dropped it too low. The yoke for the front driveshaft is pointing upwards and I have a strong feeling that's why there is a large dent/imprint in the floor board from the previous driveshaft when it busted loose.

I called advanced adapters and asked them about the angle. They said the engine should be at neg 3 to 5 degrees while I am at neg 7. They also stated that the advanced should work with a stock skid plate with not much of a modification. So I was going to look for a stock or similar skid plate to see where that puts the angle before buying a more expensive one that may not work with my mod. According to some rough calculations I should be able to lift the tranny/xfer case around 2 to 2.5 inches. After the angle is corrected I plan on buying a new custom driveshaft for the front so I can have 4x4 working again.

Thoughts?

When I get home I will try to upload some pics into photobucket and post to show how low it is (the top of the transfer case is almost even with the bottom of the frame) and the front yoke angle.

6. LowJ

LowJ
    Expand Collapse
    just driving a WK around and building a MJ

Pictures would help but I would do as you are trying to do and see what a stock unit will do. Are you keeping the custom cross member or cutting it?

The UCF skid still seems the best for you as there are 3 to choose from depending on how low you hang down below frame. It can be used as just a skid or you can mount the trans to it (typical for TJ) so it is very strong.

7. Cj5mudhog

Cj5mudhog
    Expand Collapse

8. Derek 12v

Derek 12v
    Expand Collapse

Ya you definitely need to level that drivetrain out. Here is a picture of the skid plate that I have behind the shop. It has brackets for links front and rear but you don't have to use them, but it is a stout cross member/skid plate. You can check out the details of it on RE's website.

[​IMG]

9. Cj5mudhog

Cj5mudhog
    Expand Collapse

That skid looks pretty stout. How much do you want for it?

I just hope I can push up the drivetrain that much. I guess worse case I can install a 1 inch body lift if my angle is still within speck. I do not want to move the motor mounts....not a welder.

Moderators: themcfarland